- Tenamene 2
Amber to red or dark reddish black liquid.
Gasoline gum inhibitor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
7E-5 (25 C)
0.94-0.95 g/cm3 (24 C)
Solubility in water
1.5302 (31 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a well ventilated area. Keep container tightly closed.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
If Tyvek-type disposable protective clothing is not worn during handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek-type sleeves taped to your gloves.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter. Splash proof safety goggles should be worn while handling this chemical. Alternatively, a full face respirator, equipped as above, may be used to provide simultaneous eye and respiratory protection.
If you spill this chemical, FIRST REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION. Then, use absorbent paper to pick up all liquid spill material. Your contaminated clothing and absorbent paper should be sealed in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with 60-70% ethanol followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Reacts with oxidizing materials Incompatible with isocyanates, halogenated organics, peroxides, phenols (acidic), epoxides, anhydrides, and acid halides.
Oxides of nitrogen.
Fires involving this material can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
This chemical is combustible.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Abnormally low blood pressure and labored respirations may occur. CNS depression and peripheral neuropathy have been reported after ingestion.
Epigastric pain and recurrent vomiting are common shortly following ingestion.
Bronchospasm may develop in sensitized individuals.
Contact dermatitis is common.
Significant laryngeal and facial edema may occur. Breathing may be impaired as a result of laryngeal edema. Immediate (usually) or delayed hypersensitivity reactions have been described following application of PPD-containing hair dyes to eyebrows or eyelashes. Eye pain and burning, and edema occur, which may progress to widespread facial edema, dermatitis, tearing, photophobia, uveitis, and keratitis. Corneal necrosis and vision loss may occur. Bilateral optic neuritis has been reported with blindness.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Corrosive chemicals will destroy the membranes of the mouth, throat, and esophagus and, in addition, have a high risk of being aspirated into the victim's lungs during vomiting which increases the medical problems. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital. If the victim is convulsing or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth, ensure that the victim's airway is open and lay the victim on his/her side with the head lower than the body. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Transport the victim IMMEDIATELY to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital for treatment after washing the affected areas.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.