- India rubber
- Natural latex
Nearly colorless and transparent in thin layers. Odorless.
Some of the many uses in which rubbers are employed include pneumatic tires and inner tubes, tubing and hose, rubber footware, inflatable and sectional seals, elastic thread and tape, rubbermetal bonded products, inflatable life-rafts and dinghies, chemically resistant tank linings, conveyor belting, foam cushioning for upholstery and bedding, floor coverings, proofed material for clothing, adhesives and solutions, washers, gaskets, diaphrams, floating bulk liquid containers and hose, tennis, squash and golf balls.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
0.906-0.916 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Make no contact with the spilled material. ELIMINATE all ignition sources and ground all equipment. With clean shovel place material into clean, dry container and cover loosely; move containers from spill area.
Latex can be defined as a stable aqueous dispersion containing discrete polymer particles about 0.05 To 5 um in diameter.
Small Fires: Dry chemical, carbon dioxide, sand, earth, water spray or regular foam. Large Fires: Water spray, fog or regular foam.
A fire hazard when exposed to heat or flame.
Fire may produce irritating and/or toxic gases.
The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
May cause burns.
Seek medical assistance.
Although inhalation of common dust may not be considered toxic, it is certainly a hazard if there is inhalation of too many particles. Individuals should be removed from exposure to too high a concentration of even relatively non-toxic substances.
Even though a substance may be considered non-toxic for the amount ingested or packaged, it should not be considered as non-toxic in any amounts. Even ingestions of various foodstuffs can cause adverse symptoms if large amounts are eaten (green apples, garlic, onion). The most important fact to remember is to treat the patient not the poison, especially when the diagnosis is unknown. Knowing that the product is listed as non-toxic helps avoid overtreating the patient or being over zealous in getting a patient to professional medical care. If there is a question of simultaneous ingestion of a product which may be more dangerous, the management on the more toxic agent should be consulted.
Foreign materials in the eye may not cause a toxic reaction, but injury from a foreign body may occur. In such cases, the patient should be observed for eye irritation and should seek medical assistance if the irritation becomes significant.