- Pivalic acid
- 2,2-Dimethylpropanoic acid
- a,a-Dimethylpropionic acid
- Trimethylacetic acid
- tert-Pentanoic acid
- Versatic 5 acid
Moist, white crystals or liquid with a pungent odor.
Intermediate, as a replacement for some natural materials.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 21/22 34
S 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
32 - 35
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.91 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.90396 g/cm3 (40 C)
Solubility in water
2.37 cp (40 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong reducing agents, bases.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Dusts may be combustible when exposed to heat, flame, or oxidizing agents. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Do NOT get water inside containers. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
This material is combustible.
Produces vapors irritating to eyes and skin. Decomposes to produce acrid smoke and fumes.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Rapid heart rate and abnormally low blood pressure are common; low heart rate may occur. Both hyperpnea and apnea have been reported after rapid iv injection. lethargy and coma may occur. Dizziness and syncope have been reported following therapeutic use.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed.
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract.
May cause severe irritation and possible burns. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).