- Neopentylene glycol
White crystalline solid.
Substance is used in the production of plasticizers, polyesters, as modifier of alkylated resins.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 26 37/39
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
128 - 130
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.05 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.07 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
4.2 mPas 150C C
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Store protected from moisture.
Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Use with adequate ventilation. Wash clothing before reuse.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Moisture, acid chlorides, acid anhydrides, strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Water runoff can cause environmental damage. Dike and collect water used to fight fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Water may be ineffective. Use extinguishing media most appropriate for the surrounding fire. In case of fire, use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or alcohol-resistant foam.
Flammable/combustible material. May be ignited by friction, heat, sparks or flames.
Emits toxic fumes under fire condition.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. Causes upper respiratory tract irritation. Causes irritation of the mucous membrane.
Causes skin irritation. Causes redness and pain.
Causes eye irritation. Causes redness and pain.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.