Nickel acetate tetrahydrate
- Acetic acid, nickel(+2) salt, tetrahydrate
- Diacetatonickel tetrahydrate
- Nickel(II) acetate tetrahydrate
- Nickel diacetate tetrahydrate
- Nickelous acetate tetrahydrate
Green solid. Acetic - weak odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 25 22 36/37/38 43
S 53 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Boiling point, °C
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic gases, carbon dioxide, nickel oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire.
0.1 mg/m3 TLV
G-A4, I-1, N-1, CP65
May cause respiratory tract cancer. May cause cancer according to animal studies. Symptoms of overexposure to nickel can cause sensitization, dermatitis, allergic asthma and pneumonitis.
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause allergic respiratory reaction. In rare instances, exposure may cause sensitization, resulting in inflammation of the mucous membranes and in eczematous eruptions.
Causes skin irritation. May cause dermatitis. Causes nickel itch which is a dermatitis resulting from sensitization to nickel, which is characterized by skin eruptions, followed by discrete ulcers that may discharge and become crusted, or by eczema.
Causes eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.