Nickel chloride hexahydrate
green monoclinic crystals
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
toxic, sensitizing, dangerous for the environment
R 45 25 43
S 53 45
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Cl2Ni . 6 H2O
Melting point, °C
Sublimation point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
10 (671 C)
Solubility in water
2540 g/L (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Reduce airborne dust and prevent scattering by moistening with water. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Carefully scoop up and place into appropriate disposal container.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong acids, peroxides, potassium.
Hydrogen chloride, nickel oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Water runoff can cause environmental damage. Dike and collect water used to fight fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
0.1 mg/m3 TLV
G-A4, I-1, N-1, CP65
2 (Very strong toxins)
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause sensitization dermatitis and possible destruction and/or ulceration. May cause respiratory tract cancer. Symptoms of overexposure to nickel can cause sensitization, dermatitis, allergic asthma and pneumonitis.
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Inhalation of a mist of this material may cause respiratory tract irritation.
Contact with skin causes irritation and possible burns, especially if the skin is wet or moist. May cause severe irritation and possible burns. May cause dermatitis. Causes nickel itch which is a dermatitis resulting from sensitization to nickel, which is characterized by skin eruptions, followed by discrete ulcers that may discharge and become crusted, or by eczema.
May cause eye irritation and possible burns.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.
I; II; III
2827 35 00