- Nickel diiodide
- Nickel(2+) iodide
Nickel iodide has been used as a catalyst in the addition of carbon monoxide to organic compound.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Solubility in water
607 g/L (25 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
Evacuate area and ventilate. Wear protective equipment. If required, use an inert absrobent. Sweep up and place in an appropriate container for disposal. Wash contaminated surfaces.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Toxic gases and vapors (such as nickel carbonyl) may be released in a fire involving nickel.
IDHL: NIOSH considers nickel metal and other compounds (as Ni) to be a potential
G-A4, I-1, N-1, CP65
Acute intoxication of nickel carbonyl has two stages, immediate and delayed. A person may have a temperature as a delayed symptom, but it will seldom elevate above 101 degrees. Early symptoms after inhalation are dizziness, giddiness, and weakness. Cretinism and goiter have been reported in children whose mothers were taking iodides.
Acute ingestion of iodide salts does not result in corrosive actions on the gastrointestinal tract. Vomiting and abdominal pain may be noted but are not as common as with acute iodine ingestion.
Chronic oral administration can produce various skin reactions, including erythema nodosum, polymorphic eruptions, urticaria, vasculitis, and petechia.
A metallic taste, increased salivary and bronchial secretions may be noted.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
If symptoms develop, move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. Keep person warm and quiet; seek immediate medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothing. Wash exposed area with soap and water. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. Launder clothing before reuse.
If symptoms develop, immediately move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. Flush eyes gently with water for at least 15 minutes while holding eyelids apart; seek immediate medical attention.