Nickel sulfate hexahydrate
- Nickelous sulfate
- Sulfuric acid nickel(II) salt
Blue or emerald-green crystalline material. Becomes blue and opaque at room temperature. Odorless. Sweet astringent taste. Somewhat efflorescent.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
harmful, carcinogenic, sensitizing, dangerous for the environment
R 22 40 42/43 50/53
S 22 36/37 60 61
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
NiO4S . 6 H2O
Melting point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
2.070 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from strong acids.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Wash area with soap and water. Wear a self contained breathing apparatus and appropriate Personal protection. (See Exposure Controls, Personal Protection section). Avoid generating dusty conditions. Carefully scoop up and place into appropriate disposal container. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong acids, strong oxidizing agents.
Oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, nickel oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Water runoff can cause environmental damage. Dike and collect water used to fight fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire.
This material is probably combustible.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH TWA: 0.015 mg/m3 NIOSH: Potential Occupational Carcinogen.
G-A4, I-1, N-1, CP65
3 (Strong toxins)
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause sensitization dermatitis and possible destruction and/or ulceration. May cause respiratory tract cancer.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Dust is irritating to the respiratory tract. Inhalation of vapor may cause respiratory tract irritation.
Causes skin irritation. May cause severe irritation and possible burns. May cause dermatitis.
May cause eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.
2833 24 00