- Nickelous sulfate
- Nickel(II) sulfate
A yellow green to blue green solid.
As mordant in dyeing and printing fabrics, blackening zinc and brass, nickel-plating heptahydrate.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 3; Harmful; Sensitising; Dangerous for the Environment
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Decomposition point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless
3.543 g/cm3 (25 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed in a cool place in a tightly closed container.
Containers of this material may be hazardous when emptied. Since emptied containers retain product residues (vapor, liquid, and/or solid), all hazard precautions given in the data sheet must be observed. Use good personal hygiene practices. Wash hands before eating, drinking, smoking, or using toilet facilities. Promptly remove soiled clothing and wash before reuse. Shower after work using plenty of soap and water.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Build dikes to contain flow as necessary. Land spill: Dig a pit, pond, lagoon, holding area to contain liquid or solid material. Cover solids with a plastic sheet to prevent dissolving in rain or fire fighting water. Water spill: Add soda ash (Na2CO3). Adjust pH to neutral (pH=7). Use mechanical dredges or lifts to remove immobilized masses of pollutants and precipitates.
Stable @ 40 C hexahydrate.
When heated to decomposition it emits very toxic fumes of sulfur oxides. Toxic gases and vapors (such as nickel carbonyl) may be released.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. (Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.)
Some are oxidizers and may ignite combustibles (wood, paper, oil, clothing, etc.). Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
TLV (as Ni): ppm; 0.1 mg/m3 (as TWA) (ACGIH 1993-1994).
G-A4, I-1, N-1, CP65
Acute intoxication of nickel carbonyl has two stages, immediate and delayed. A person may have a temperature as a delayed symptom, but it will seldom elevate above 101 degrees. Early symptoms after inhalation are dizziness, giddiness, and weakness. Nickel salts are reported to be animal teratogens. Increased incidence of stillbirth and neonatal mortality of rat offspring were associated with maternal consumption of nickel chloride solutions prior to mating and during gestation. Nickel has been found in breast milk. ORAL ADMINISTRATION of nickel sulphate to rats caused decreased testicular, prostate, and seminal vesicle size as well as abnormalities of sperm and decreased sperm count.
Large doses taken orally or by inhalation may cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
TOXIC; inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact with material may cause severe injury or death. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.
Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. See Inhalation.
Seek medical assistance.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #