Nickel sulfide

  • Nickel subsulfide
  • Trinickel disulfide
Formula
Ni3S2
Structure
Description
Pale yellowish-bronze metallic-lustrous crystals or shiny gold-green (metallic) crystalline powder.
Uses
In lithium primary batteries.

Registry Numbers and Inventories.
CAS
12035-72-2
EC (EINECS/ELINCS)
234-829-6
EC Index Number
028-007-00-4
EC Class
Carcinogenic Category 1; Sensitising; Dangerous for the Environment
RTECS
QR9800000
RTECS class
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Beilstein/Gmelin
17204 (G)
Swiss Giftliste 1
G-6533
Canada DSL/NDSL
DSL
US TSCA
Listed
New Zealand
Listed
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Listed
Korea ECL
Listed

Properties.
Formula
Ni2S2
Formula mass
240.25
Melting point, °C
790
Vapor pressure, mmHg
2 (1400 C)
Density
5.82 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Insoluble
Heat of fusion
24.7 kJ/mol

Hazards and Protection.
Storage
Storage should be close to laboratory where material is to be used, so that only small amounts need to be carried. Carcinogens should be kept in only one section of storage area, explosion-proof refrigerator or freezer as required. The area should be appropriately labeled. An inventory should be kept showing the quantity of carcinogen and date it was acquired. Facilities for dispensing should be contiguous to storage area.
Handling
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Protection
If Tyvek-type disposable protective clothing is not worn during handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek-type sleeves taped to your gloves.
Respirators
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
Small spills/leaks
If you spill this chemical, you should dampen the solid spill material with 5% acetic acid, then transfer the dampened material to a suitable container. Use absorbent paper dampened with 5% acetic acid to pick up any remaining material. Your contaminated clothing and the absorbent paper should be sealed in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Wash all contaminated surfaces with 5% acetic acid followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Stability
No data.
Incompatibilities
Incompatible with acids.
Decomposition
Toxic gases and vapors (such as nickel carbonyl) may be released.

Fire.
Fire fighting
Fires involving this material can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
Fire potential
This material is probably combustible.
Combustion products
Toxic gases and vapors (such as nickel carbonyl) may be released in a fire involving nickel.

Health.
Exposure limit(s)
OSHA PEL: TWA 1 mg/m3 *Note: The PEL does not apply to Nickel carbonyl. NIOSH REL: Ca TWA 0.015 mg/m3 See Appendix A NIOSH IDLH: Potential occupational carcinogen 10 mg/m3 (as Ni)
Carcinogin
G-A1, I-1, N-1, CP65
Poison_Class
3
Exposure effects
Acute intoxication of nickel carbonyl has two stages, immediate and delayed. A person may have a temperature as a delayed symptom, but it will seldom elevate above 101 degrees. Early symptoms after inhalation are dizziness, giddiness, and weakness. Nickel salts are reported to be animal teratogens. Increased incidence of stillbirth and neonatal mortality of rat offspring were associated with maternal consumption of nickel chloride solutions prior to mating and during gestation. Nickel has been found in breast milk. ORAL ADMINISTRATION of nickel sulphate to rats caused decreased testicular, prostate, and seminal vesicle size as well as abnormalities of sperm and decreased sperm count.
   Ingestion
Large doses taken orally or by inhalation may cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
   Inhalation
Phase i of an acute nickel carbonyl exposure involves nonproductive cough, and rapid, panting breathing. The second phase after an acute exposure involves tightness in the chest, cough, dyspnea, retrosternal pain and shortness of breath. Late changes involve pulmonary edema and interstitial fibrosis.
   Skin
Nickel contact dermatitis is the most common reaction to nickel. It is estimated that 5 percent of all eczemas are nickel reactions. Nickel itch may begin with a burning and itching sensation, followed by erythema and nodular eruptions. Once acquired, nickel sensitivity usually persists.
   Eyes
Acute toxicity from nickel inhalation includes sore throat and hoarseness. There is speculation inflammation of the eye and epiphora have occurred in nickel plating work environments due to poor ventilation. Occasional exposure to nickel aerosol and other contaminants has resulted in nasal irritation, loss of smell, damage to the nasal mucosa, and perforation of the nasal septum. In rare cases, nickel workers have complained of a bitter metallic taste.

First aid
 
   Ingestion
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
   Inhalation
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
   Skin
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. If symptoms such as redness or irritation develop, IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital for treatment.
   Eyes
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.

Transport.