- Nickelous oxide
- Nickel monoxide
Painting on porcelain.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 1; Sensitising; Dangerous for the Environment
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Natural Product
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
6.72 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Wash clothing before reuse.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions. Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Fluorine, hydrogen sulfide, barium oxide and air.
Irritating and toxic gases, nickel oxide, nickel, metallic oxides.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire. In case of fire use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or appropriate foam.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Toxic gases and vapors (such as nickel carbonyl) may be released in a fire involving nickel.
TLV (as Ni): ppm; 0.05 mg/m3 (ACGIH 1990-1991).
G-A1, I-1, N-1, CP65
Repeated inhalation is associated with nasal and nasopharyngeal cancer.
Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause allergic respiratory reaction.
Causes skin irritation. May cause severe irritation and possible burns. May cause dermatitis.
Causes eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III