Colorless liquid, gasoline-like odor.
Chemical agent in petroleum industry, offers highly desirable blending values to achieve certain preferred antiknock & combustion qualities for high compression engine fuels.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Harmful; Irritant; Vapours may cause drowsiness and dizziness; Dangerous for the Environment
R 11 38 50/53 65 67
S 9 16 29 33 60 61 62
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
14 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.44% (14,400 ppm) @ 25 C
1.4 (butyl acetate=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 4 ppm
0.703 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.706 cp @ 0C
21.80 g/s2 (in at 20 C)
1.39764 (20 C)
1.9 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear impervious gloves. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Remove all sources of ignition. Absorb spill using an absorbent, non-combustible material such as earth, sand, or vermiculite. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Forms explosive mixtures with air.
Oxidizing agents, coatings, plastics, rubber.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Can release vapors that form explosive mixtures at temperatures above the flashpoint. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Vapors may be heavier than air. They can spread along the ground and collect in low or confined areas. May accumulate static electrical charges, and may cause ignition of its own vapors. Extinguishing media: Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. Water may be ineffective. Water may spread fire.
Dangerous, when exposed to heat, flame.
Vapor is heavier than air and may travel a considerable distance to a source of ignition and flash back.
Toxic gases and vapors (such as carbon monoxide) may be released in a fire involving octane.
OSHA PEL: TWA 500 ppm (2350 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 75 ppm (350 mg/m3) C 385 ppm (1800 mg/m3) 15-minute NIOSH IDLH: 1000 ppm LEL
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause defatting and dermatitis.
Aspiration hazard. Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure. Aspiration of material into the lungs may cause chemical pneumonitis, which may be fatal.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause narcotic effects in high concentration. Exposure produces central nervous system depression.
Causes skin irritation. May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts. Prolonged and/or repeated contact may cause defatting of the skin and dermatitis.
Causes eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Possible aspiration hazard. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.