Octyltrichlorosilane is a colorless liquid with a pungent odor.
Chemical intermediate for silicones.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 34 37
S 26 36/37/39 45
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.07 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.9 cP 25.00 C
1.4480 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep container closed when not in use. Flammables-area. Store protected from moisture.
Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions. Moisture sensitive.
Moisture, oxidizing agents, bases, alcohols.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, silicon oxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Will burn if involved in a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may cause pollution. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT get water inside containers. Do NOT use straight streams of water.
May burn but does not ignite readily.
Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff. When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Effects may be delayed. May cause kidney damage.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause kidney damage. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. Ingestion of large amounts may cause CNS depression. May cause blood abnormalities. May cause cardiac abnormalities. May cause systemic effects.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. May cause kidney damage. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. May cause blood changes. May cause cardiac abnormalities. May cause systemic effects. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation. May cause burning sensation in the chest.
Causes skin burns. May cause cyanosis of the extremities. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
Std. Transport #