- 1,3-Benzenediol, 5-methyl-, monohydrat
White to pink solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 22 36/37/38
S 26 36/37/39
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.290 g/cm3 (4C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Acid chlorides, acid anhydrides, Strong oxidizers. May discolor on exposure to light.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic fumes. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide or chemical foam. Substance is noncombustible; use agent most appropriate to extinguish surrounding fire.
Effects may be delayed.
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. May be harmful if swallowed.
Causes respiratory tract irritation.
May cause severe skin irritation.
May cause severe eye irritation. May cause irreversible eye injury.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.