• 2-(1-Iodoethyl)-1,3-dioxolane-4-methanol
Viscous pale yellow or yellow liquid.

Registry Numbers and Inventories.
RTECS class
Tumorigen; Mutagen

Formula mass
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Critical temperature
Critical pressure
1.797 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Slightly soluble
Refractive index
1.547 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow

Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
If Tyvek-type disposable protective clothing is not worn during handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek-type sleeves taped to your gloves.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with a combination filter cartridge, i.e. organic vapor/acid gas/HEPA (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas, SO2 and a high efficiency particulate filter).
Small spills/leaks
If you should spill this chemical, use absorbent paper to pick up all liquid spill material. Seal the absorbent paper, as well as any of your clothing which may be contaminated, in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Wash any surfaces you may have contaminated with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
No data.
Flammable and/or toxic gases are generated by combination with with alkali metals, nitrides, and strong reducing agents Reacts with oxoacids and carboxylic acids to form esters plus water Incompatible with oxidizing agents.

Fire fighting
Fires involving this material can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
Fire potential
This chemical is probably combustible.

Exposure effects
Acute ingestion of iodide salts does not result in corrosive actions on the gastrointestinal tract. Vomiting and abdominal pain may be noted but are not as common as with acute iodine ingestion.
Symptoms of exposure to this compound include hypersensitivity, rash, flare-up of adolescent acne, dermatitis, gastrointestinal irritation, thyroid gland enlargement and acute parotitis. Compounds of this type have caused mental depression, insomnia, sexual impotence, hyperthyroidism, goiter, hypersensitivity characterized by severe coryza, headache, lacrimation, weakness, laryngitis, bronchitis, allergic reactions, irritation of the mucous membranes and death due to circulatory failure, edema of the glottis resulting in asphyxia, aspiration pneumonia or pulmonary edema. Skin reactions (iododerma) may vary from mild erythema and acneform eruptions to urticaria. Suppurative or hemorrhagic rashes may also result.
Chronic oral administration can produce various skin reactions, including erythema nodosum, polymorphic eruptions, urticaria, vasculitis, and petechia.
See inhalation

First aid
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. If the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give 1 or 2 glasses of water to dilute the chemical and IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center. Be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital if advised by a physician. If the victim is convulsing or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth, ensure that the victim's airway is open and lay the victim on his/her side with the head lower than the body. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital for treatment after washing the affected areas.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.