- Phenylarsine oxide
The material is used as a pesticide.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
154 - 156
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, oxides of arsenic.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. This material in sufficient quantity and reduced particle size is capable of creating a dust explosion. Extinguishing media: Use water spray, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
Containers may explode when heated.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Chronic ingestion is characterized by weakness, anorexia, gastrointestinal disturbances, impairment of cognitive function, peripheral neuropathy, and skin disorders. Reynaud's phenomenon has been reported in association with long-term exposure.
May be fatal if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May cause liver damage. May cause central nervous system effects. Ingestion of arsenical compounds has resulted in the following symptoms: burning of the lips, constriction of the throat, and dysphagia followed by excrutiating abdominal pain, severe nausea, projectile vomiting, and profuse diarrhea. Other toxic effects on the liver, the blood-forming organs, the central and peripheral nervous systems and the cardiovascular system may appear. Convulsions, coma, and death may follow within 24 hours in severe cases.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. May cause systemic effects.
Causes skin burns.
Causes eye burns.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.
I; II; III