- Disyston sulfoxide
- Disulfoton sulfoxide
- O,O-Diethyl S-(2-ethylthionylethyl) phosphorodithioate
- Phosphorodithioic acid, O,O-diethyl S-[2-(ethylsulfinyl)ethyl] ester
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Very toxic; Toxic
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide
Swiss Giftliste 1
Boiling point, °C
108 (0.01 torr)
1.2156 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.5416 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Use NIOSH/MSHA approved respirator appropriate for exposure of concern.
(Non-Specific -- Organophosphorus Pesticide, n.o.s.) Do not touch spilled material. Small spills: take up with sand or other noncombustible absorbent material and place into containers for later disposal. Small dry spills: with clean shovel place material into clean, dry container and cover; move containers from spill area. Large spills: dike far ahead of spill for later disposal.
(Non-Specific -- Organophosphorus Pesticide, n.o.s.) Fight fire from maximum distance. Dike fire control water for later disposal; do not scatter the material. Poisonous gases may be generated from the fire or runoff water.(Non-Specific -- Organophosphorus Pesticide, n.o.s.) Extinguish with dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray, fog, or foam.
Some materials may burn but none of them ignite easily. Container may explode in the heat of fire. When heated to decomposition, it emits very toxic fumes of oxides of sulfur and phosphorus.
Fever, low heart rate and abnormally low blood pressure, or rapid heart rate and elevated blood pressure may occur. Headache, dizziness, muscle spasms and profound weakness are common. Alterations of level of consciousness, anxiety, paralysis, seizures and coma may occur. Seizures may be more common in children.
Vomiting, hypersalivation, diarrhea, fecal incontinence and abdominal pain may occur.
Dyspnea, rales, bronchorrhea, bronchospasm, or tachypnea may be noted. Noncardiogenic pulmonary edema may occur in severe cases. Chemical pneumonitis may be seen.
Sweating is a consistent but not universal sign.
Constriction of the pupil, tearing, and blurred vision are common. Prolonged dialation of the pupils may occur in severe poisonings. Opsoclonus has been reported in one case. Salivation commonly occurs.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Systemic effects can occur from dermal exposure to organophosphates. Remove contaminated clothing, wash skin, hair and nails vigorously with repeated soap washings. Leather absorbs pesticides; all contaminated leather should be discarded. Rescue personnel and bystanders should avoid direct contact with contaminated skin, clothing, or other objects.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility. Patients symptomatic following exposure should be observed in a controlled setting until all signs and symptoms have fully resolved. Suction oral secretions until atropinization. Treatment should include recommendations listed in the oral exposure section when appropriate. Contraindications - succinylcholine and other cholinergic agents are contraindicated. Note: see treatment of eye exposure in the main body of this document for complete information.
USCG CHRIS Code