White to light tan or pink flakes or white crystals.
Active principle or enhancing agent for disinfectants.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
irritant, dangerous for the environment
R 22 36/37/38
S 26 36/37/39
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Mutagen
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
44 - 47
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
5E-5 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.22 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep tightly closed in a cool place in a tightly closed container.
Containers of this material may be hazardous when emptied. Since emptied containers retain product residues (vapor, liquid, and/or solid), all hazard precautions given in the data sheet must be observed. All five-gallon pails and larger metal containers, including tank cars and tank trucks, should be grounded and/or bonded when material is transferred.
If Tyvek-type disposable protective clothing is not worn during handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek-type sleeves taped to your gloves.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with an organic vapor/acid gas cartridge (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas and SO2) with a dust/mist filter.
Should a spill occur while you are handling this chemical, FIRST REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION, then you should dampen the solid spill material with 60-70% ethanol and transfer the dampened material to a suitable container. Use absorbent paper dampened with 60-70% ethanol to pick up any remaining material. Seal the absorbent paper, and any of your clothes, which may be contaminated, in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with 60-70% ethanol followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do not reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Incompatible with acids and oxidizing agents Sensitive to light.
Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, chlorine, hydrogen chloride.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Fires involving this compound should be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher. A water spray may also be used.
This chemical is combustible.
Symptoms of exposure to this material through breathing, swallowing, and/or passage of the material through the skin may include: stomach or intestinal upset (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) irritation (nose, throat, airways), central nervous system depression (dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, fatigue, nausea, headache, unconsciousness), and death.
Swallowing small amounts of this material during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Swallowing large amounts may be harmful.
Breathing of vapor or mist is possible. Breathing small amounts of this material during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Breathing large amounts may be harmful.
Can cause permanent skin damage. Symptoms may include redness, burning, and swelling of skin, burns, and other skin damage. Passage of this material into the body through the skin is possible, and may add to toxic effects from breathing or swallowing.
Can cause permanent eye injury. Symptoms include stinging, tearing, redness, and swelling of eyes. Can injure the cornea and cause blindness.
DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Phenols are very toxic poisons AND corrosive and irritating, so that inducing vomiting may make medical problems worse. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center and locate activated charcoal, egg whites, or milk in case the medical advisor recommends administering one of them. If advice from a physician is not readily available and the victim is conscious and not convulsing, give the victim a glass of activated charcoal slurry in water or, if this is not available, a glass of milk, or beaten egg whites and IMMEDIATELY transport victim to a hospital. If the victim is convulsing or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth, assure that the victim's airway is open and lay the victim on his/her side with the head lower than the body. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. If symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop, call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital for treatment after washing the affected areas.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.
2908 10 00