White crystalline solid or yellowish liquid with a phenolic or sweet tarry odor. Turns black with age and exposure to air and light.
For making synthetic resins, in disinfectants and fumigants, as industrial solvent.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
R 24/25 34
S 36/37/39 45
Tumorigen; Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
30 - 34
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
300 ppm (0.03%) at 20 C; 400 ppm (0.04%) at 25 C (calculated)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 5 ppm 1.4 mg/L
1.047 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
7.61 cp (25 C)
33.5 g/s2 (18 C)
1.5386 (35 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Corrosives area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong acids, bases, alliphatic amines, chlorosulfonic acid, oleum.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray.
Fire may produce irritating or poisonous gases.
Runoff from fire control water may give off poisonous gases. This material Container may explode in heat of fire. Slight explosion and fire hazard in the form of vapor when exposed to heat or flame. When heated to decomposition, it emits highly toxic fumes. Reacts violently with nitric acid, oleum, and chlorosulfonic acid.
Flammable toxic vapors given off in fire.
OSHA PEL: TWA 5 ppm (22 mg/m3) skin NIOSH REL: TWA 2.3 ppm (10 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 250 ppm
May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause appetite loss, diarrhea, skin abnormalities, and digestive tract disturbances.
Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause liver and kidney damage. Cresols may cause abnormalities of the central nervous system, respiratory system, spleen and pancreas.
May be fatal if inhaled. Causes severe irritation of upper respiratory tract with coughing, burns, breathing difficulty, and possible coma. May cause headache. May cause nausea and possible vomiting.
May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts. Causes severe skin irritation and burns.
May result in corneal injury. Causes eye irritation and burns. May cause conjunctivitis and keratitis.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Discard contaminated clothing in a manner which limits further exposure. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).