- O,O-Diethyl O-p-nitrophenyl phosphate
- Diethyl p-nitrophenyl phosphate
- Diethyl 4-Nitrophenyl phosphate
- Diethyl paraoxon
- O,O-diethyl phosphoric acid O-p-nitrophenyl ester
- Ethyl paraoxon
Reddish-yellow oily liquid with a faint fruity odor.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Drug; Mutagen; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.00013 (25 C)
1.2736 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
3,640 mg/L at 20 C
15.76 cp (25 C)
36.9 g/s2 (25 C)
1.50459 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
If Tyvek-type disposable protective clothing is not worn during handling of this chemical, wear disposable Tyvek-type sleeves taped to your gloves.
Wear a NIOSH-approved half face respirator equipped with a combination filter cartridge, i.e. organic vapor/acid gas/HEPA (specific for organic vapors, HCl, acid gas, SO2 and a high efficiency particulate filter).
If you spill this chemical, FIRST REMOVE ALL SOURCES OF IGNITION, then use absorbent paper to pick up liquid spill material. Your contaminated clothing and absorbent paper should be sealed in a vapor-tight plastic bag for eventual disposal. Solvent wash all contaminated surfaces with toluene followed by washing with a soap and water solution. Do no reenter the contaminated area until the Safety Officer (or other responsible person) has verified that the area has been properly cleaned.
Interaction in absence of solvent in a stirred flask heated by a regulated mantle led a runaway reaction and explosion.
Fires involving this material can be controlled with a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or Halon extinguisher.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
Containers may explode when heated.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Vital sign changes can include slow or rapid heart rate, abnormally low blood pressure or elevated blood pressure, rapid breathing, respiratory paralysis or fever. Headache, dizziness, muscle spasms, profound weakness, paralysis, confusion, slurred speech and loss of reflexes are common symptoms of dichlorvos overexposure. Altered level of consciousness, seizures and coma may occur. Seizures may be more common in children.
Vomiting, diarrhea, fecal incontinence, pancreatitis and abdominal pain may occur, especially from percutaneous and inhalation exposures.
Dyspnea, rales, bronchorrhea, or tachypnea may be noted. Pulmonary edema may occur in severe cases.
Sweating is a consistent but not universal sign.
Constriction of the pupil, tearing, blurred vision and salivation are common. Prolonged dialation of the pupils may occur in severe poisonings.
CHOLINESTERASE INHIBITORS ARE EXTREMELY TOXIC AND FAST-ACTING POISONS. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital of poison control center and transport the victim to a hospital. Atropine is an antidote for cholinesterase inhibitors but should only be administered by properly trained personnel. In the absence of this option and if the victim is conscious and not convulsing, it may be worth considering the risk of inducing vomiting, even though the induction of vomiting is not usually recommended outside of a physician's care. Ipecac syrup or salt water may be used to induce vomiting in such an emergency. If the victim is convulsing or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth, assure that the victim's airway is open and lay the victim on his/her side with the head lower than the body. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital.
IMMEDIATELY leave the contaminated area; take deep breaths of fresh air. IMMEDIATELY call a physician and be prepared to transport the victim to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, or burning in the mouth, throat, or chest) develop. Provide proper respiratory protection to rescuers entering an unknown atmosphere. Whenever possible, Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) should be used.
IMMEDIATELY flood affected skin with water while removing and isolating all contaminated clothing. Gently wash all affected skin areas thoroughly with soap and water. IMMEDIATELY call a hospital or poison control center even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim to a hospital for treatment after washing the affected areas.
First check the victim for contact lenses and remove if present. Flush victim's eyes with water or normal saline solution for 20 to 30 minutes while simultaneously calling a hospital or poison control center. Do not put any ointments, oils, or medication in the victim's eyes without specific instructions from a physician. IMMEDIATELY transport the victim after flushing eyes to a hospital even if no symptoms (such as redness or irritation) develop.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code