- Paraperiodic acid
- Orthoperiodic acid
- Iodic acid
White, odorless solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 8 34
S 17 26 36/37/39 45
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
1.3875 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Heat can cause thermal decomposition and pressure build-up inside containers.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid breathing vapors from heated material. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Discard contaminated shoes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. Do not use combustible materials such as paper towels to clean up spill.
Stable under normal shipping and handling conditions. However, may decompose if heated.
Strong reducing agents, reducing agents, strong bases, dimethyl sulfoxide, finely powdered metals, tetraethylammonium hydroxide.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, hydrogen iodide, iodide ions (I-).
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Material will not burn. Strong oxidizer. Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes. Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) to prevent contact with thermal decomposition products. Use water with caution and in flooding amounts. Decomposes at high temperatures, resulting in toxic and corrosive products. Some oxidizers may react explosively with hydrocarbons(fuel). May accelerate burning if involved in a fire. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. For small fires DO NOT use dry chemicals, carbon dioxide, halon or foams. USE WATER ONLY.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire.
May explode from heat or contamination. May react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels). May ignite combustibles.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Effects may be delayed.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. Causes digestive tract burns with immediate pain, swelling of the throat, convulsions, and possible coma. May cause systemic effects. May cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, possibly with blood.
May cause irritation of the respiratory tract with burning pain in the nose and throat, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and pulmonary edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects. May cause acute pulmonary edema, asphyxia, chemical pneumonitis, and upper airway obstruction caused by edema.
Causes skin burns. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. May cause permanent corneal opacification. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
I; II; III
2811 19 80