- Peracetic acid
- Ethaneperoxoic acid
- Ethaneperoxoic acid
- Acetyl hydroperoxide
Colorless liquid with a strong, pungent acrid odor.
Bactericide & fungicide, especially in food processing, reagent in making caprolactam, synthetic glycerol.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Flammable; Oxidising; Harmful; Corrosive; Dangerous for the Environment
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Tumorigen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
7.9 (25 C)
1.1037 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
3.280 cp @ 78 deg f
1.3994 (15 C)
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated location. Separate from acids, alkalies, organic materials, heavy metals. Normally kept refrigerated outside or detached storage is preferred.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Full protective clothing (goggles, rubber gloves, etc)
Self-contained breathing apparatus.
Caution : Peracetic acid is a strong oxidizer. Fire or other violent reactions may occur upon contact with combustible organic material. Avoid breathing vapors. Do not touch the spilled material; shut off all ignition sources and stop the leak if this can be done without risk. The spilled material should be absorbed with a noncombustible absorbent such as vermiculite. Sweep up and place in a metal container for immediate disposal. Do not use spark-generating metals or organic materials for sweeping up or handling spilled material. Dispose of the absorbed peroxyacetic acid solution, in small quantities at a time, by placing it on the ground in a remote outdoor area and igniting with a long torch. Empty containers should be washed with a 10% sodium hydroxide solution.
Thermally unstable. After 30 days the specific formulations peracetic acid 20 gl, peracetic acid n 20 gl (with wetting agent), and peracetic acid spirit show a loss of peracetic acid of 25, 35, 22%, respectively, with storage at 2-5 degrees.
Decomposes violently @ 230 F (110 C) peracetic acid diluted with 60% acetic acid when heated to decomposition it emits acrid smoke and irritating fumes.
If fire occurs in the vicinity of this compound, water should be used to keep containers cool. Cleanup and salvage operations should not be attempted until all of the peroxyacetic acid solution has cooled completely. Keep unnecessary people away; wear self-contained breathing apparatus and full protective clothing.Fight fires from an explosion-resistant location. In advanced or massive fires, area should be evacuated. For small fires: use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray, or foam. For large fires: flood area with water.
Flammable liquid. Dangerous fire hazard by chemical reaction with reducing agents or exposure to heat.
Decomposes violently at 230F. When heated to decomposition, this compound emits acrid smoke and fumes. Runoff to sewer may create a fire or explosion hazard. Powerful oxidizer. Isolate from other stored material, particularly accelerators, oxidizers, and organic or flammable materials. Avoid shock and heat.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
An increase in blood pressure, respiratory rate and pulse has been noted in animal experiments. No data were available to assess the teratogenic potential of this agent. <br>No data were available to assess the potential effects of exposure to this agent during pregnancy or lactation.
Ingestion of peracetic acid may cause gastrointestinal tract irritation and possible oral and esophageal burns.
Mice exposed by inhalation developed signs of respiratory tract irritation.
Peracetic acid is highly irritating and possibly corrosive to the skin.
Peracetic acid can cause severe eye irritation. A 10 percent solution of peracetic acid applied to rabbit eyes caused corneal ulceration, perforation, and symblepharon formation. Irritation of nasal and throat mucosa is common with exposure to vapors.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.
USCG CHRIS Code