- Mineral spirits
- Stoddard Solvent
- White spirits
Clear, colorless liquid with a kerosene-like odor.
Solvent, Herbicide, Insecticide
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 2; Harmful
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
156 - 202
Vapor pressure, mmHg
5 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.08 (butyl acetate=1)
0.79 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Protect skin with rubber or neoprene gloves and additional protection including impervious boots, apron, or coveralls, as needed in areas of unusual exposure. Use chemical safety goggles and/or a full face shield where splashing is possible. Maintain eye wash fountain and quick-drench facilities in work area.
A half-face organic vapor respirator may be worn for up to ten times the exposure limit, or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. A full-face piece organic vapor respirator may be worn up to 50 times the exposure limit, or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-face piece positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, strong acids.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
232 - 260
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing apparatus with full facepiece operated in the pressure demand or other positive pressure mode. Use water in flooding quantities to cool all affected containers. Apply water from as far a distance as possible. Water spray, dry chemical, alcohol foam, or carbon dioxide. Direct stream of water can scatter and spread flames.
Flammable liquid. This liquid is near its lower flammability limit at room temperature. Contact with strong oxidizers may cause fire.
Vapors may form explosive mixtures with air. Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Sealed containers may rupture when heated. Sensitive to static discharge.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH REL: TWA 350 mg/m3 C 1800 mg/m3 [15-minute] OSHA PEL: TWA 500 ppm (2000 mg/m3) IDLH 1100 ppm [10%LEL]
Chronic exposure may lead to central nervous system complications, blood changes (aplastic anemia, a rare occurrence that is potentially fatal), and dermatitis. Animal studies have indicated the potential for liver and kidney damage.
Fatal dose for humans estimated at 3-4 oz, but ingestion of much smaller amounts may cause lung edema and possible death because of aspiration into lungs.
Effects are typically those of most hydrocarbons, dizziness and euphoria leading to unconsciousness in severe cases. Vapors also irritate the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, difficult breathing and chest pain. A central nervous system depressant.
The defatting action of this solvent may lead to soreness, inflammation and, possibly, dermatitis.
Vapors may be irritating at concentrations of 450 ppm and above (15 minutes exposure) and contact with the liquid solvent can be painful and possibly damaging to eye tissues.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Possible aspiration hazard. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. Possible aspiration hazard.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.