Phenethicillin potassium salt
- a-Phenoxyethylpenicillinic acid
- 4-Thia-1-azabicyclo[3.2.0]heptane-2-carboxylic acid, 3,3-dimethy-7-oxo-6-(2-phenoxypropionamido)-, monopotassium salt
Used as an antibacterial, especially in certain infections due to susceptible organisms, such as streptococcal infections of the upper respiratory tract, pneumococcal infections of the respiratory tract, staphylococcal infections of the skin and soft tissues, and fusospirochetosis.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
229 - 234
Hazards and Protection.
Wear appropriate government approved respirator, chemical-resistant gloves, safety goggles, other protective clothing.
Sweep up, place in a bag and hold for waste disposal. Avoid raising dust. Ventilate area and wash spill site after material pickup is complete.
Stable at normal temperatures and pressures.
Thermal decomposition may produce carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen oxides.
Extinguish using Water spray. Carbon dioxide, dry chemical powder, or appropriate foam. Wear self-contained breathing apparatus and protective clothing to prevent contact with skin and eyes.
Emits toxic fumes under fire conditions.
Properties of this material have not yet been prepared. Any recommendations are of a general nature. Many chemicals cause irritation of the eyes, skin, and respiratory tract. In severe cases respiratory tract irritation can progress to ARDS/acute lung injury which may be delayed in onset for up to 24 to 72 hours in some cases Irritation or burns of the esophagus or gastrointestinal tract are also possible if caustic or irritant chemicals are ingested. ALWAYS contact your local poision control authority or medical professional for assistance.
If swallowed, wash out mouth with water provided person is conscious. Call a physician.
If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If breathing becomes difficult, call a physician.
In case of skin contact, flush with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Call a physician.
In case of contact with eyes, flush with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Assure adequate flushing by separating the eyelids with fingers. Call a physician.