- Phenylethyl alcohol
Colorless liquid with a rose-like odor.
Used in flavors and perfumery (esp rose perfumes).
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 21/22 36/38
S 26 36/37/39
Mutagen; Reproductive Effector; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
103 - 105
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.0325 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Very low; 80 ppm (0.008%) at 20 C; 110 ppm (0.011%) at 25 C (calculated)
1.0344 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
3.19 cp (50 C)
38.65 g/s2 (20 C)
1.5292 (16.8 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
D1B D2A D2B
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Wash clothing before reuse.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Containers may explode if exposed to fire. Extinguishing media: Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. Water spray may cause frothing. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause adverse reproductive effects.
May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure. Causes gastrointestinal tract irritation. May be harmful if swallowed.
Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Dust is irritating to the respiratory tract.
Causes skin irritation. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin.
Causes eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.