Colorless to light yellow liquid with a strong pungent odor, lachrymator.
Reagent for identifying alcohols & amines, intermediate.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
flammable, very toxic, corrosive, sensitizing
R 10 22 26 34 42/43
S 23 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
15 (57 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Approximately 2000 ppm at 20 C; 4870 ppm at 24 C (calculated)
1.1152 - 1.063 g/cm3 (0 - 50 C)
Solubility in water
133 cp (0 C)
1.53684 (20 C)
Heat of fusion
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry place. Keep container closed when not in use. Keep under an argon blanket. Keep away from water. Flammables-area.
B3 D1A D2A D2B
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Do not expose spill to water.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Water, alcohols, strong bases, amines, acids, heat, and strong oxidizing agents. Has exploded when stirred with cobalt pentammine triazoperchlorate + nitrosyl perchlorate.
Hydrogen cyanide, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Extinguishing media: Do NOT use alcohol foams. DO NOT USE WATER! Do NOT get water inside containers. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Vapors form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Prolonged inhalation may cause respiratory tract inflammation and lung damage. Repeated exposure may cause allergic respiratory reaction (asthma).
Causes gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed.
May cause cyanosis, characterized by bluish-colored skin. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause allergic respiratory reaction. May cause pulmonary edema and severe respiratory disturbances.
Causes skin irritation.
Causes severe eye irritation. Vapors may cause eye irritation. Lachrymator.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.