- Phenylisocyanide dichloride
- Phenylisonitrile dichloride
A pale yellow oily liquid with an odor of onions.
Military poison gas.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
39 - 40
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.35 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.285 g/cm3 (15 C)
Solubility in water
1.597 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
42.4 (25 C)
Hazards and Protection.
In general, materials which are toxic as stored or which can decomp into toxic components.Should be stored in a cool, well-ventilated place, out of direct rays of the sun, away from areas of high fire hazard, and should be periodically inspected. Incompatible materials should be isolated from each other.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate chemical protective clothing.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus.
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Do not use water on material itself. Apply water spray or mist to knock down vapors. Combustion products include corrosive or toxic vapors. Land spill: Dig a pit, pond, lagoon, holding area to contain liquid or solid material. Cover solids with a plastic sheet to prevent dissolving in rain or fire fighting water. Water spill: Use natural barriers or oil spill control booms to limit spill travel. Remove trapped material with suction hoses.
Incompatible with water, strong oxidizing agents, alcohols May react vigorously or explosively with diisopropyl ether or other ethers in the presence of trace amounts of metal salts.
Dangerous when heated to decomposition, it emits highly toxic fumes of hydrogen chloride.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. (Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.) Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible. Solid streams of water may spread fire.
Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Agitation and syncope, both attributed to panic, have been reported.
A metallic taste with a burning sensation of the tongue is common. Nausea is common; vomiting occurs occasionally. Epigastric discomfort and burping may occur if tear gas is swallowed.
Cough, rhinorrhea, sneezing, chest tightness, and laryngospasm may occur shortly following exposure due to the irritant effects.
Irritation may occur to all body surfaces where significant exposure has occurred. Painful contact dermatitis may persist for several hours following exposure to mace containing capsaicin. Bullous dermatitis may develop 12 to three days after exposure to tear gas containing o-chlorobenzylidene malononitrile (cs). Erythema, vesicle eruptions, and denuded areas with weeping tender erythematous base may develop one day after exposure to mace containing 1-chloroacetophenone (cn).
Seek medical assistance.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists. Remove all contaminated clothing while avoiding self-contamination. Meticulously wash all exposed areas with copious amounts of soap and water. The patient's clothing may contain residual particles from the exposure and clothing should be removed and stored in a sealed polythene bag to prevent degassing. If clothing is to be washed, cold water should be used because hot wat will cause residual o-chlorobenzylidene malononitrile (cs) gas to vaporize.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.
Std. Transport #