- Phenylhydrazinium chloride
- Hydrazine, phenyl-, monohydrochloride
White, odorless powder.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Carcinogenic Category 2; Mutagenic Category 3; Toxic; Irritant; Sensitising; Dangerous for the Environment
R 45 23/24/25 36/38 43 48/23/24/25 50 68
S 53 45 61
Tumorigen; Drug; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
243 - 246
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Do not expose to air. Store protected from light. Store under an inert atmosphere.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Place under an inert atmosphere.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. May violently decompose at temperatures above 190 C.
Air, strong oxidizing agents, lead dioxide, common metals (expect aluminum), bases.
Hydrogen chloride, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. This material in sufficient quantity and reduced particle size is capable of creating a dust explosion. Extinguishing media: Use extinguishing media most appropriate for the surrounding fire. In case of fire, use carbon dioxide, dry chemical, or water fog.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Toxic and irritating hydrogen chloride and oxides of nitrogen may be produced in fire. May be corrosive to metals.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. Prolonged or repeated eye contact may cause conjunctivitis. May cause methemoglobinemia, which is characterized by chocolate-brown colored blood, headache, weakness, dizziness, breath shortness, cyanosis, rapid heart rate, unconsciousness and possible death. May cause fetal effects. May cause cancer according to animal studies. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Chronic inhalation may cause liver damage.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause liver and kidney damage. Causes gastrointestinal tract irritation. May cause systemic effects by ingestion: blood hemolysis with or without anemia, methemoglobinemia-carboxyhemoglobinemia, and pulmonary changes. May cause central nervous system stimulation.
Harmful if inhaled. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion. Acute exposure to low concentrations of hydrazines may cause and produce bronchial mucous destruction, pulmonary edema, cyanosis and possible death.
Causes skin irritation. Harmful if absorbed through the skin. May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. May cause eczematous dermatitis with swelling and vesiculation.
Causes eye irritation.
Induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code
2928 00 90