- Phenyl hydroxymercury
A fine white to cream crystalline solid.
Fungicide, Microbiocide, Herbicide
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Toxic; Corrosive; Dangerous for the Environment
R 26/27/28 33 50/53
S 13 28.1 36 45 60 61
Melting point, °C
Decomposition point, °C
Solubility in water
50 g/L (75 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep sparks, flames, and other sources of ignition away. Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Build dikes to contain flow as necessary. Attempt to stop leak if without undue personnel hazard.
Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Use alcohol foam, dry chemical or carbon dioxide. Keep run-off water out of sewers and water sources. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible.
Containers may explode when heated. Runoff may pollute waterways.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
TLV (as Hg): ppm; 0.1 mg/m3 (as TWA) (skin) (ACGIH 1991-1992).
The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Highly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.
Avoid any skin contact. See Inhalation.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Remove material from skin immediately. Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. For minor skin contact, avoid spreading material on unaffected skin.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.