A colorless liquid with a pungent odor.
Monomer for copolymers in water repellents, in electrical insulating resins, in high temp resins for paints.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 14 20/21 34
S 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
Vapor density (air=1)
1.315 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.68 cp (40 C)
1.5238 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Corrosives area. Store protected from moisture.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Discard contaminated shoes. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Absorb spill using an absorbent, non-combustible material such as earth, sand, or vermiculite. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Do not get water inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Forms explosive mixtures with air. Forms hydrochloric acid with water.
Moisture, water, steam, strong acids, strong bases, strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen chloride, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, hydrogen gas, silicon oxide, formaldehyde, chloride fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Combustible Liquid. Containers may explode when heated. Water hydrolyzes material liberating acidic gas which in contact with metal surfaces can generate flammable and/or explosive hydrogen gas. Forms explosive mixtures with air. Extinguishing media: Do NOT use water directly on fire. Use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or alcohol-resistant foam. Do NOT get water inside containers.
Moderate fire hazard, when exposed to heat, open flame, or oxidizers. Trichlorosilane is highly flammable.
Do not get water inside containers. Vapors may travel to ignition source and flash back. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Flammable/combustible material; may be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. Container may explode in heat of fire. Vapor explosion hazard indoors, outdoors or in sewers. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Emits toxic chloride fumes when heated to decomposition. Do not mix with halogenated compounds, because a trace quantity of free halogen may cause violent explosion. May react violently with water. Readily hydrolyzed in water/moisture, producing hydrochloric acid. Avoid mixing with water or exposing to moisture.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Effects may be delayed.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. May cause systemic effects.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects. Inhalation at high concentrations may cause CNS depression and asphixiation.
Causes skin burns. May be harmful if absorbed through the skin. Substance is readily absorbed through the slkin. May cause cyanosis of the extremities. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. Lachrymator. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #