- O,O-Diethyl ethylthiomethyl phosphorodithioate
- O,O-Diethyl-S-(Ethylthio)methyl phosphorodithioate
Clear liquid with an objectionable odor.
Application sites: non-domestic terrestrial and aquatic foodfeed crops, and greenhouse commercial nursery stock (both outdoor and greenhouse).
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Mutagen; Reproductive Effector
Swiss Giftliste 1
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.0026 (25 C)
1.1615 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.5349 (20 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Stable when stored at room temperature for at least 2 years. Store at out of reach of animals and away from feed and foodstuffs.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Must wear a respirator with an activated-carbon gas filter cartridge affording protection for a determined number of working hours.
Caution : Phorate will form toxic mixtures of sulfur oxides, phosphorus oxides, and nitrogen oxides when heated to decomposition. Avoid sources of extreme heat. (Non-Specific -- Organophosphorus Pesticide) Keep unnecessary people away; isolate hazard area and deny entry. Stay upwind; keep out of low areas. Ventilate closed spaces before entering them. Remove and isolate contaminated clothing at the site. Do not touch spilled material; stop leak if you can do it without risk. Use water spray to reduce vapors. Small spills: take up with sand or other noncombustible absorbent material and place into containers for later disposal. Large spills: dike far ahead of spill for later disposal.
Incompatible with alkaline compounds and with water-containing preparations. Avoid contact with water, alkalis.
(Non-Specific -- Organophosphorous Pesticide) Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus. Move container from fire area if you can do it without risk. Fight fire from maximum distance. Dike fire control water for later disposal; do not scatter the material.(Non-Specific -- Organophosphorous Pesticide) Extinguish with dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray, fog, or foam.
Combustible material: may burn but does not ignite readily.
Shock can shatter containers, releasing the contents. When heated to decomposition, toxic fumes of sulfur oxides, phosphorus oxides, and nitrogen oxides are emitted. Hydrolyzed in water and alkalies.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
TLV: 0.05 mg/m3 (as TWA); 0.2 mg/m3 (as STEL) (skin) (ACGIH 1992-1993) NIOSH REL: TWA 0.05 mg/m3 ST 0.2 mg/m3 skin
Fever, low heart rate and abnormally low blood pressure, or rapid heart rate and elevated blood pressure may occur. Headache, dizziness, muscle spasms and profound weakness are common. Alterations of level of consciousness, anxiety, paralysis, seizures and coma may occur. Seizures may be more common in children.
Vomiting, hypersalivation, diarrhea, fecal incontinence and abdominal pain may occur.
Dyspnea, rales, bronchorrhea, bronchospasm, or tachypnea may be noted. Noncardiogenic pulmonary edema may occur in severe cases. Chemical pneumonitis may be seen.
Sweating is a consistent but not universal sign.
Constriction of the pupil, tearing, and blurred vision are common. Prolonged dialation of the pupils may occur in severe poisonings. Opsoclonus has been reported in one case. Salivation commonly occurs.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Do not use mouth-to-mouth method if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. For minor skin contact, avoid spreading material on unaffected skin.
Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
I; II; III
USCG CHRIS Code