Phosphoric acid, mono(2-ethylhexyl) ester
- 2-Ethylhexyl acid phosphate
- 2-Ethylhexyl dihydrogen phosphate
- 1-Hexanol, 2-ethyl, dihydrogen phosphate
- Mono(2-ethylhexyl) phosphate
- Orthophosphoric acid, 2-ethylhexyl alcohol monoester
Light tan colored paste.
Surface-active agent (hydrotrope, penetrant, wetting agent).
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
1.0034 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
1.443 (20 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store away from foodstuffs or animal feed. Containers should be stored in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from flammable or incompatible materials and sources of heat or flame. Exercise due caution to prevent damage to or leakage from the container.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flames. Avoid contact with skin. Avoid inhalation of vapors and mists. Personnel handling this product should wash thoroughly after contact with this product.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Use a NIOSH-approved organic vapor acid gas respirator (OVAG) with dust , mist, and fume filters to reduce potential for inhalation exposure if use conditions generate vapor, mist, or aerosol and adequate ventilation (e.g., outdoor or well ventilated area) is not available. Where exposure potential necessitates a higher level of protection use a NIOSH-approved, positive-pressure, pressure demand, air-supplied respirator.
Stop source of spill. Dike area to prevent spill from spreading. Soak up liquid with suitable absorbent such as clay, sawdust, or kitty litter. Sweep up absorbed material and place in a chemical waste container for disposal. CAUTION! The spill area may be slippery.
Stable at ambient temperatures and atmospheric pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Oxides of phosphorous, carbon.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are common. Oral, pharyngeal and esophageal burns may occur following ingestion of low phosphate detergents which are generally more alkaline. Colitis, esophageal stricture, and irritation of mucous membranes have also been reported.
Occupational asthma has been reported. Aspiration may result in upper airway edema and significant respiratory distress. Difficulty in breathing has been described in animals inhaling high concentrations of anionic surfactants.
Skin irritation has been reported after prolonged occupational dermal contact. Skin dryness, irritation, and contact dermatitis have been reported following varying degrees of exposure to detergents.
Immediately dilute with 4 to 8 ounces (120 to 240 ml) of milk or water (not to exceed 4 ounces/120 ml in a child). Spontaneous vomiting frequently occurs following ingestion. If spontaneous vomiting does not occur then significant ingestion is unlikely. Administration of activated charcoal is unnecessary. Observe patients with ingestion carefully for the possible development of esophageal or gastrointestinal tract irritation or burns. If signs or symptoms of esophageal irritation or burns are present, consider endoscopy to determine the extent of injury. Patient should be evaluated for burns to the mouth and esophagus following ingestion of low phosphate detergents which are generally more alkaline.
Move patient to fresh air. Monitor for respiratory distress. If cough or difficulty breathing develops, evaluate for respiratory tract irritation, bronchitis, or pneumonitis. Administer oxygen and assist ventilation as required. Treat bronchospasm with beta2 agonist and corticosteroid aerosols.
Remove contaminated clothing, wash exposed area with copious amounts of water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.