- Phosphoric pentoxide
- Phosphorous pentoxide
- Diphosphorus pentaoxide
White crystalline powder, slight phosphorus-like odor, deliquescent.
Prepn of phosphorus oxychloride & metaphosphoric acid, acrylate esters, surfactants, sugar refining, laboratory reagent, fire extinguishing, special glasses.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
S 22 26 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
2.253 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from water. Keep away from metals. Corrosives area. Keep containers tightly closed. Keep away from strong bases.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not store near combustible materials.
Eyes: Wear chemical goggles and a face shield if splashing is possible. Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear butyl rubber gloves, apron, and/or clothing. Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Do not flush into a sewer. Wash area with soap and water. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up or absorb material, then place into a suitable clean, dry, closed container for disposal. Provide ventilation. Do not get water on spilled substances or inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Incompatible with sodium, aluminum, potassium, ammonia, peroxides, and magnesium. Upon contact with water, diphosphorus pentoxide reacts violently producing heat and an acidic solution. Diphosphorus pentoxide reacts violently with barium sulfide, hydrogen fluoride, and iodides. Forms an explosive mixture with methyl hydroperoxide. Contact with 3-propynol causes ignition to occur.
Oxides of phosphorus, phosphorous fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Will react with water to form toxic and corrosive fumes. Extinguishing media: Do NOT use water directly on fire. Use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or alcohol-resistant foam. Do NOT get water inside containers. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Nonflammable. Does not support combustion. With the appropriate conditions it undergoes hazardous reactions with formic acid; Inorganic bases; iodides; methyl hydroperoxide. Reacts violently with water to evolve heat, dangerous fire risk
Reacts violently with water to evolve heat. Flammable poisonous gases may accumulate in tanks and hopper cars. Phosphorus pentoxide reacts violently with the following: ammonia, hydrofluoric acid, oxygen difluoride, potassium, sodium, propargyl alcohol, calcium oxide, sodium hydroxide and chlorine trifluoride. A violent explosion occurs if a solution of perchloric acid in chloroform is poured over phosphorus pentoxide. Avoid formic acid, hydrogen fluoride, inorganic bases, metals, oxidants, water. Readily absorbs moisture from air to form meta-, pryo-, or orthophosphoric acid.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Reaction with water may generate much heat which will increase the concentration of fumes in the air.
MAK: 1 ppm; mg/m3; (1996).
Early symptoms of chronic phosphorous intoxication include gastrointestinal distress and possibly a garlic-like odor to the breath. Chronic exposure can lead to necrosis of the jaw, or 'phossy-jaw'.
Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. Causes severe pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and shock.
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. May cause pulmonary edema and severe respiratory disturbances.
Causes severe skin irritation and burns.
Causes eye burns. May cause irreversible eye injury.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
2809 10 00
Std. Transport #