- Difluorophosphoric acid
- Fluophosphoric acid
A mobile colorless strongly fuming liquid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
1.583 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.0916 P (0 C)
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Keep material out of water sources and sewers. Build dikes to contain flow as necessary. Use water spray to knock-down vapors. Neutralize spilled material with crushed limestone, soda ash, or lime.
Reacts exothermically with chemical bases (examples: amines, amides, and inorganic hydroxides) React vigorously with water to form corrosive and toxic hydrofluoric acid and heat Reacts with active metals, including such structural metals as aluminum and iron, to release hydrogen, a flammable gas Reacts with cyanide compounds to release gaseous hydrogen cyanide.
Heat or moisture can result in the formation of highly toxic fumes including HF.
Extinguish fire using agent suitable for type of surrounding fire. (Material itself does not burn or burns with difficulty.) Use water in flooding quantities as fog. Cool all affected containers with flooding quantities of water. Apply water from as far a distance as possible.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Irritating and toxic fumes of hydrogen fluoride and phosphoric acid may be formed in fires.
TOXIC; inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact with material may cause severe injury or death. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed.
Contact with molten substance may cause severe burns to skin and eyes. See Inhalation.
Seek medical assistance.
Remove from exposure and support respiration.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. Immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes. For minor skin contact, avoid spreading material on unaffected skin.
Wash with copious volumes of water for at least 15 min.
USCG CHRIS Code
Std. Transport #