White or yellow solid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
73 - 74
Decomposition point, °C
160 - 170
1.597 g/cm3 (76 C)
Solubility in water
1.4315 (76 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of fusion
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from metals. Corrosives area. Do not store in metal containers.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Discard contaminated shoes.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Cover with sand, dry lime or soda ash and place in a closed container for disposal. Provide ventilation.
Stable at room temperature in closed containers under normal storage and handling conditions.
Strong bases, strong oxidizing agents, strong reducing agents.
Oxides of phosphorus.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Combustion generates toxic fumes. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Substance is noncombustible. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide or chemical foam. Do NOT get water inside containers. For large fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, alcohol-resistant foam, or water spray. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Effects may be delayed. Repeated contact may cause corneal damage.
Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. Causes severe pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and shock. May cause hemorrhaging of the digestive tract. May cause corrosion and permanent tissue destruction of the esophagus and digestive tract. May cause systemic effects.
Irritation may lead to chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Causes severe irritation of upper respiratory tract with coughing, burns, breathing difficulty, and possible coma. Aspiration may lead to pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects.
Contact with liquid is corrosive and causes severe burns and ulceration. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Contact with liquid is corrosive to the eyes and causes severe burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).