- Phosphorus persulfide
- Phosphorus sulfide
- Sulfur phosphide
- Diphosphorus pentasulfide
Gray-yellow crystals. Odorless or rotten egg odor.
Manufacture of safety matches, ignition compound, in manufacture of lube oil additives and pesticides and for introducing sulfur into organic compound.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Contact with water liberates toxic gas; Harmful; Dangerous for the Environment
R 11 20/22 29 50
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
284 - 287
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1 (300 C)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 0.0047 ppm
1.731 g/cm3 (323 C)
Solubility in water
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from water. Flammables-area. Keep containers tightly closed.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not allow contact with water. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Cover with sand, dry lime or soda ash and place in a closed container for disposal. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Do not expose spill to water. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures. Combines vigorously or explosively with water.
Acids, alcohols, water, air, steam.
Phosphine, carbon monoxide, oxides of phosphorus, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Will burn if involved in a fire. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Flammable solid. May ignite or explode on contact with steam or moist air. Dangerous fire hazard in the form of dust when exposed to heat or flame. Extinguishing media: Use dry sand or earth to smother fire. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT use straight streams of water.
Flammable, Slightly flammable. Combustion requires preheating. Moderate hazard.
Produce flammable and toxic gases on contact with water. May ignite on contact with water or moist air. May be ignited by heat, sparks or flames. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished.
Products of combustion include sulfur dioxide and phosphorus pentoxide, which are irritating, toxic and corrosive.
NIOSH REL: TWA 1 mg/m3 ST 3 mg/m3 OSHA PEL: TWA 1 mg/m3 IDLH 250 mg/m3
Prolonged exposure to hydrogen sulfide may result in pulmonary edema.
Harmful if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Causes severe skin irritation.
Causes severe eye irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
2813 90 10
Std. Transport #