- Phosphorus chloride
Colorless, clear, liq. Pungent.
Making phosphorus oxychloride, intermediate for organophosphorus pesticides, surfactants, phosphites (reactions with alcohols and phenols), gasoline additives, plasticizers, dyestuffs, chlorinating agent, catalyst, preparing rubber surfaces for electrodeposition of metal, ingredient of textile finishing agents.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Reacts violently with water; Contact with water liberates toxic gas; Very toxic; Harmful; Corrosive
R 14 26/28 35 48/20
S 7/8 26 36/37/39 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
341.4 (50 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1 (butyl acetate=1)
Solubility in water
29.1 g/s2 @ 20 C
Heat of vaporization
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Corrosives area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Wash hands before eating. Follow all MSDS and label precautions even after container is emptied because they may contain product residues. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Reacts violently with water. Alcohols, amines, aluminum, sodium, potassium acids.
Hydrogen chloride, oxides of phosphorus, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, phosphorous fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Substance is noncombustible. Contact with water can cause violent liberation of heat and splattering of the material. Vapors may be heavier than air. They can spread along the ground and collect in low or confined areas. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Do NOT use water directly on fire. Use carbon dioxide or dry chemical. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
This material will react violently with water, producing heat and toxic and corrosive fumes. When heated to decomposition, it emits highly toxic fumes of chlorides and phosphorus oxides. It may ignite other combustible materials. Reacts violently with water. Reacts explosively with acetic acid, aluminum, chromyl chloride, diallylphosphite and allyl alcohol, dimethyl sulfoxide, fluorine, hydroxylamine, iodine monochloride, lead dioxide, nitric acid, nitrous acid, organic matter, potassium, and sodium. Avoid contact with water, steam, or acids.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Reaction with water may generate much heat which will increase the concentration of fumes in the air.
OSHA PEL: TWA 0.5 ppm (3 mg/m3) NIOSH REL: TWA 0.2 ppm (1.5 mg/m3) ST 0.5 ppm (3 mg/m3) NIOSH IDLH: 25 ppm
Fever may develop. Headache and vertigo may occur. No data were available to assess the teratogenic potential of this agent. <br>No data were available to assess the potential effects of exposure to this agent during pregnancy or lactation. <br>No information about possible male reproductive effects was found in available references.
May be fatal if swallowed. Causes digestive tract burns with immediate pain, swelling of the throat, convulsions, and possible coma.
May be fatal if inhaled. May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract.
Causes skin burns. May be absorbed through the skin in harmful amounts.
Causes severe eye burns.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately. Induce vomiting by giving one teaspoon of Syrup of Ipecac. Call a poison control center.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Immediately flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.
USCG CHRIS Code
2812 10 15
Std. Transport #