- Phosphorus triiodide
Red-orange hexagonal crystals, hygroscopic
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 26 36/37/39 45
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Solubility in water
0.0287 cp (130 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a tightly closed container. Keep away from water. Corrosives area. Do not expose to air. Store protected from light. Store under an inert atmosphere. Store in a cool, dry area away from incompatible substances.
Use only in a well ventilated area. Do not allow water to get into the container because of violent reaction. Do not breathe dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not ingest or inhale. Store protected from light. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air. Do not allow contact with water. Use only in a chemical fume hood. Discard contaminated shoes. Keep from contact with moist air and steam.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Provide ventilation. Do not expose spill to water. Place under an inert atmosphere.
Combines vigorously or explosively with water. Ignites in oxygen. Violent reaction with glycerol, chlorosulfonic acid, 25% or 50% oleum, hydroxylamine, methyl sulfoxide (DMSO), dimethyl formamine, sulfuric acid, and fluorosulfonic acid.
Air, water, moisture, glycerol, chlorosulfonic acid, oleum, hydroxylamine, dimethyl sulfoxide, sulfuric acid, fluorosulfonic acid, dimethyl formamide, direct light, alcohols.
Phosphine, oxides of phosphorus, hydrogen iodide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Reacts violently with water giving off flammable gas which may explode. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Water Reactive. Material will react with water and may release a flammable and/or toxic gas. Forms explosive mixtures with air or oxygen. May ignite or explode on contact with steam or moist air. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Extinguishing media: Use dry sand or earth to smother fire. Do NOT use water directly on fire. Use foam, dry chemical, or carbon dioxide. DO NOT USE WATER! Do NOT get water inside containers. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Effects may be delayed.
May cause severe and permanent damage to the digestive tract. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause perforation of the digestive tract. May cause systemic effects.
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract. Inhalation may be fatal as a result of spasm, inflammation, edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. May cause systemic effects. May cause burning sensation, coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea, and vomiting.
Causes skin burns. May cause skin rash (in milder cases), and cold and clammy skin with cyanosis or pale color.
Causes eye burns. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. Do not use mouth-to-mouth respiration if victim ingested or inhaled the substance; induce artificial respiration with the aid of a pocket mask equipped with a one-way valve or other proper respiratory medical device.
Get medical aid immediately. Wash clothing before reuse. Destroy contaminated shoes. If water-reactive products are embedded in the skin, no water should be applied. The embedded products should be covered with a light oil.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed. Extensive irrigation is required (at least 30 minutes).
I; II; III
2812 90 00