- Platinum tetraiodide
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S: 20 26 36/37/39 43 45 60
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
6.06 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep container tightly sealed. Store in cool, dry conditions in well sealed containers. Store under lock and key and with access restricted to technical experts or their assistants only.
Protective work clothing. Chemical protective gloves. Safety glasses or goggles.
Use neutralizing agent. Ensure adequate ventilation. Do not flush with water or aqueous cleansing agents
Decomposition will not occur if used and stored according to specifications.
Extinguish with CO2, sand, extinguishing powder. Do not use water. Wear self-contained respirator. Wear fully protective impervious suit.
Iodine, hydrogen iodide, metal oxide fumes.
NIOSH PEL 0.002 mg/m3 (as Pt)
Platinum compounds, especially platinum halogen complexes, are sensitizers. Sensitized persons, on re-exposure to platinum salts, will show the clinical features of a Type 1 allergy: asthma and/or rhinitis and/or conjunctivitis and/or urticaria. A contact dermatitis may also occur. The symptoms of the allergic reaction to platinum salts may include any of the following: itchy red eyes, watering of the eyes, sneezing, runny nose, chest tightness, wheezing, breathlessness, cough, eczematous or urticarial (nettle rash type) skin lesions. Exposure to platinum salts in exceedingly small amounts, even below the level of physico-chemical detection, will produce symptoms in sensitized persons. Continued exposure will give symptoms of increasing severity and can eventually lead to chronic asthma. There is a risk of anaphylactic shock occuring in sensitized persons re-encountering platinum salts. Therefore, if sensitization has developed, further exposure to platinum compounds must not be permitted.
Ingestion may cause damage to the mouth, throat and esophagus.
Inhalation may result in respiratory effects such as inflammation, edema, and chemical pneumonitis. May cause coughing, wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea and vomiting.
May cause skin burns or irritation depending on the severity of the exposure.
Eye contact may result in permanent damage and complete vision loss.
Seek medical treatment.
Supply fresh air. If required, provide artificial respiration. Keep patient warm. Seek immediate medical advice.
Immediately wash with water and soap and rinse thoroughly. Seek immediate medical advice.
Rinse opened eye for several minutes under running water. Then consult a doctor.