- Platinum black
- Platinum sponge
Silvery, whitish gray, malleable, ductile metal.
Manufacturing apparatus for laboratory and industrial use, thermocouples, platinum resistance thermometers, acidproof containers, electrodes, etc. In dentistry, jewelry, electroplating. As oxidation catalyst in Manufacture acetic acid, nitric acid from ammonia, Manufacture sulfuric acid, control of automotive emmissions.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
S 14 22
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Use spark-proof tools and explosion proof equipment. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Scoop up with a nonsparking tool, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, hydrazine, phosphorus, hydrogen peroxides, acetone, arsenic, dioxygen difluoride, white phosphorus, nitrosyl chloride, ethanol, selenium, tellurium.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Will burn if involved in a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Dust can be an explosion hazard when exposed to heat or flame. Flammable solid. May burn rapidly with flare burning effect. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For large fires, use water spray, fog or regular foam. Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, sand, earth, water spray or regular foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Flammable in a state of powder.
Oxides from metallic fires are a severe health hazard. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
NIOSH REL: TWA 1 mg/m3
F (Not subject to toxicity classification)
May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and increased salivation.
May cause respiratory tract irritation. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Olfactory fatigue may occur. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema.
May cause skin irritation and possible burns.
May cause eye irritation. May cause lacrimation (tearing), blurred vision, and photophobia. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid. Do NOT induce vomiting. If conscious and alert, rinse mouth and drink 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
7110 11 00