Polyethylene glycol stearate

  • X-489-r
  • Akyporox s 100
  • Arosurf 1855e40
  • Cerasynt m
  • Cerasynt mn
  • Cithrol 10ms
Formula
(C2H4O)n.C18H36O2
Structure
Description
Cream-colored soft, waxy or pasty solid @ 25 deg c. Faint fatty odor.
Uses
Surfactant.

Registry Numbers and Inventories.
CAS
9004-99-3
RTECS
TQ5950000
RTECS class
Other
Beilstein/Gmelin
NA
EPA OPP
108901
Swiss Giftliste 1
G-4300
Canada DSL/NDSL
DSL
US TSCA
Listed
Austrailia AICS
Listed
New Zealand
Listed
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Listed
Korea ECL
Listed

Properties.
Formula
(C2H4O)n C18H36O2
Density
1.03 g/cm3 (20 C)

Hazards and Protection.
Storage
Keep tightly closed in a cool place in a tightly closed container.
Handling
Containers of this material may be hazardous when emptied. Since emptied containers retain product residues (vapor, liquid, and/or solid), all hazard precautions given in the data sheet must be observed.
Protection
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Wear resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
Respirators
Not required under normal usage conditions.
Small spills/leaks
Small Spill - Sweep up material for disposal or recovery. Large Spill - Shovel material into containers. Thoroughly sweep area of spill to clean up any residual material.
Stability
Stable.
Incompatibilities
Strong alkalies, strong acids and strong oxidizing agents.
Decomposition
Oxides of carbon.

Fire.
Flash Point,°C
221
Fire fighting
Extinguish fire using regular foam, water fog, carbon dioxide, dry chemical. Water or foam may cause frothing which can be violent and possibly endanger the life of the firefighter. Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus with a full facepiece operated in the positive pressure demand mode with appropriate turn-out gear and chemical resistant personal protective equipment.

Health.
Poison_Class
-
Exposure effects
   Ingestion
Swallowing small amounts of this material during normal handling is not likely to cause harmful effects. Swallowing large amounts may be harmful.
   Inhalation
No data available.
   Skin
May cause mild skin irritation. Symptoms may include redness and burning of skin.
   Eyes
Can cause eye irritation. Symptoms include stinging, tearing, redness, and swelling of eyes.

First aid
 
   Ingestion
Even though a substance may be considered non-toxic for the amount ingested or packaged, it should not be considered as non-toxic in any amounts. Even ingestions of various foodstuffs can cause adverse symptoms if large amounts are eaten (green apples, garlic, onion). The most important fact to remember is to treat the patient not the poison, especially when the diagnosis is unknown. Knowing that the product is listed as non-toxic helps avoid overtreating the patient or being over zealous in getting a patient to professional medical care. If there is a question of simultaneous ingestion of a product which may be more dangerous, the management on the more toxic agent should be consulted.
   Inhalation
Although inhalation of common dust may not be considered toxic, it is certainly a hazard if there is inhalation of too many particles. Individuals should be removed from exposure to too high a concentration of even relatively non-toxic substances.
   Skin
Foreign materials spilled on the skin may not represent a toxic or irritation hazard in small quantities, but may produce adverse effects if applied in large quantities or if used over a significant period of time. Whenever possible, foreign materials should be removed from the skin with simple washing. Should skin irritation or erythema occur, a patient may wish to seek medical assistance.
   Eyes
Foreign materials in the eye may not cause a toxic reaction, but injury from a foreign body may occur. In such cases, the patient should be observed for eye irritation and should seek medical assistance if the irritation becomes significant.

Transport.