Potassium chlorate, solution
- Potassium chlorate, aqueous solution
Transparent, colorless crystals or white powder.
Explosives, fireworks, matches, printing and dyeing cotton and wool black, Manufacture aniline black and other dyes, source of oxygen, in chemical analyses.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
R 9 20/22
S 13 16 27
Agricultural Chemical and Pesticide; Human Data
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Decomposition point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold Odorless
2.34 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
53 g/L (10 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a cool, dry place. Keep away from reducing agents.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Wear a NIOSH/MSHA or European Standard EN 149 approved full-facepiece airline respirator in the positive pressure mode with emergency escape provisions.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Do not use combustible materials such as paper towels to clean up spill.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Chlorine, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, oxygen, oxides of potassium.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Strong oxidizer. Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Use water with caution and in flooding amounts. Some oxidizers may react explosively with hydrocarbons(fuel). Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. For small fires DO NOT use dry chemicals, carbon dioxide, halon or foams. USE WATER ONLY. For large fires, flood fire area with water from a distance. Contact with water or steam may produce toxic and flammable vapors.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire.
May explode from heat or contamination. May react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels). May ignite combustibles.
Toxic fumes are formed in fires.
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause dermatitis. May cause liver and kidney damage. May cause methemoglobinemia, which is characterized by chocolate-brown colored blood, headache, weakness, dizziness, breath shortness, cyanosis, rapid heart rate, unconsciousness and possible death.
May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, and death. Methemoglobinemia is characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis with bluish skin, rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown colored blood. May cause burns to the gastrointestinal tract. May be harmful if swallowed. May cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, possibly with blood.
Dust is irritating to the respiratory tract. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, tachycardia, dyspnea, and death. May cause acute pulmonary edema, asphyxia, chemical pneumonitis, and upper airway obstruction caused by edema.
Contact with skin causes irritation and possible burns, especially if the skin is wet or moist. May cause severe irritation and possible burns.
May cause conjunctivitis. May cause permanent corneal opacification.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
USCG CHRIS Code
2829 19 00
Std. Transport #