- Potassium hydrosulfite
- Dipotassium dithionite
- Dithionous acid, dipotassium salt
A light yellow colored powdered or flaked solid.
Used to make dyes and other chemicals.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Hazards and Protection.
Keep in a cool, dry, dark location in a tightly sealed container or cylinder. Keep away from incompatible materials, ignition sources and untrained individuals. Secure and label area. Protect containers/cylinders from physical damage.
All chemicals should be considered hazardous. Avoid direct physical contact. Use appropriate, approved safety equipment. Untrained individuals should not handle this chemical or its container. Handling should occur in a chemical fume hood.
Wear appropriate protective gloves, clothing and goggles.
Wear positive pressure self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
Use a fully encapsulating, vapor protective clothing should be worn for spills and leaks with no fire. ELIMINATE all ignition sources and prevent all contact with spilled material. Stop leak if you can do it without risk. Cover with DRY earth, DRY sand, or other non-combustible material followed with plastic sheet to minimize spreading or contact with rain. Use clean non-sparking tools to collect material and place it into loosley covered plastic containers for later disposal. This is a generic DOT guideline. EXCEPTION: For Dithionite (Hydrosulfite/Hydrosulphite) spills, UN1384, UN1923 and UN1929, dissolve with 5 parts water and collect for proper disposal.
Reacts, often violently, with oxidizing agents to generate heat and gaseous products that may be toxic and flammable.
Do not extinguish fire unless flow can be stopped. Do not use water. Use graphite, soda ash, powdered sodium chloride, or suitable dry powder.
May ignite on contact with moist air or moisture. May burn rapidly with flare-burning effect. Some react vigorously or explosively on contact with water. Some may decompose explosively when heated or involved in a fire. May re-ignite after fire is extinguished. Runoff may create fire or explosion hazard.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
The toxological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.
Inhalation of decomposition products may cause severe injury or death.
Contact with substance may cause severe burns.
Seek medical assistance.
Move victim to fresh air. Apply artificial respiration if victim is not breathing. Administer oxygen if breathing is difficult.
Remove and isolate contaminated clothing and shoes. In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.
In case of contact with substance, immediately flush with running water for at least 20 minutes.