Potassium hydrogen sulfite
- Potassium bisulfite
- Potassium acid sulfite
- Sulfurous acid, monopotassium salt
White crystalline powder with a sulfur dioxide odor.
Chemical preservative in food, except meats and other sources of vitamin b1. Reduction of various organic compounds, purification of aldehydes and ketones, source of sulfurous acid.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Decomposition point, °C
Vapor density (air=1)
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool dry location in a tightly closed container. Protect from physical damage.
Don not take internally. Do not breath dust. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wash thoroughly after handling.
Chemical splash goggles in compliance with OSHA regulations are advised; however, OSHA regulations also permit other type safety glasses. Whre chemical resistant gloves. To prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact, wear impervious clothing and boots.
None normally required.
Ventrilate area. Use protective equipment. Sweep up and place in a bag for disposal. Avoid raising dust. Wash spill site after pickup is complete.
Stable at normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Oxides of sulfur.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use agent most appropriate to extinguish fire.
Acute ingestions of 3.5 Mg/kg produce vomiting in most individuals. Larger doses may result in gastric irritation, abdominal pain, and gastric hemorrhage.
Bronchospasm, tachypnea, and dyspnea may occur, particularly in asthmatics, following inhalation of sulfite-preserved bronchodilator solutions, ingestion of prepared or restaurant foods preserved with sulfites, or exposure to sulfur dioxide in air pollution.
Generalized urticaria and allergic eczematous dermatitis may be noted.
Seek medical attention. If individual is drowsy or unconscious, do not give anything by mouth; place individual on the left side with the head down. Contact a physician, medical facility, or poison control center for advice about whether to induce vomiting. If possible, do not leave individual unattended.
If symptoms develop, move individual away from exposure and into fresh air. If symptoms persist, seek medical attention. If breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. Keep person warm and quiet; seek immediate medical attention.
Remove contaminated clothing and wash exposed area thoroughly with soap and water. A physician should examine the area if irritation or pain persists.
Irrigate exposed eyes with copious amounts of tepid water for at least 15 minutes. If irritation, pain, swelling, lacrimation, or photophobia persist, the patient should be seen in a health care facility.