Odorless, off-white powder.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
R 8 22
S 17 22 36/37
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
3.89 g/cm3 (27 C)
Solubility in water
92 g/L (25 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Keep away from reducing agents.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with clothing and other combustible materials. Do not get on skin or in eyes. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Avoid mechanical shock and friction.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear a chemical apron. Wear appropriate clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Irritating and toxic fumes and gases, oxides of potassium, iodine.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Strong oxidizer. Contact with combustible materials may cause a fire. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Use water with caution and in flooding amounts. This material is an explosion hazard when exposed to heat, mechanical shock, or friction. Containers may explode when heated. Runoff to sewer may create fire or explosion hazard. Extinguishing media: Contact professional fire-fighters immediately. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out. For small fires DO NOT use dry chemicals, carbon dioxide, halon or foams. USE WATER ONLY. For large fires flood fire with water from a distance.
These substances will accelerate burning when involved in a fire.
May explode from heat or contamination. May react explosively with hydrocarbons (fuels). May ignite combustibles.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Prolonged or repeated skin contact may cause irritation. Prolonged or repeated exposure may cause gastrointestinal irritation and kidney damage. Chronic ingestion may cause central nervous system failure. Effects may be delayed.
May cause burns to the gastrointestinal tract. May cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, possibly with blood.
May cause acute pulmonary edema, asphyxia, chemical pneumonitis, and upper airway obstruction caused by edema.
May cause severe irritation and possible burns.
May cause eye irritation. May cause conjunctivitis. May cause permanent corneal opacification.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid if cough or other symptoms appear. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration.
Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical aid if irritation develops or persists. Wash clothing before reuse.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
I; II; III
2829 90 80