white orthorhombic crystals
Reagent in analytical chemistry, medicine, gypsum cements, alum mfr, food additive.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
0.4 (1130 C)
Solubility in water
111 g/L (20 C)
5.87 (18 C)
Hazards and Protection.
Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid breathing dust, vapor, mist, or gas. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Avoid ingestion and inhalation.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Vacuum or sweep up material and place into a suitable disposal container. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation. Clean up residual material by washing area with a 2-5% solution of soda ash.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents, aluminum, magnesium, sodium, calcium.
Oxides of sulfur, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, oxides of potassium.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Substance is noncombustible. Extinguishing media: Use extinguishing media most appropriate for the surrounding fire. In case of fire, use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide, or alcohol-resistant foam.
Potassium poisoning may occur in rare cases of long exposure or ingestion.
Ingestion of large amounts may cause gastrointestinal irritation.
May cause respiratory tract irritation.
May cause skin irritation.
Dust may cause mechanical irritation.
If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.
3104 30 00