- Potassium chloroplatinate
pink-red tetragonal crystals
Substance is used in photography, in acid toning baths.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Toxic; Irritant; Sensitising
Mutagen; Human Data
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
35 - 40 (20 torr)
Solubility in water
Hazards and Protection.
Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not ingest or inhale. Use only in a chemical fume hood.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves and clothing to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to minimize contact with skin.
A respiratory protection program that meets OSHA's 29 CFR 1910.134 and ANSI Z88.2 requirements or European Standard EN 149 must be followed whenever workplace conditions warrant a respirator's use.
Sweep up, then place into a suitable container for disposal. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Strong oxidizing agents.
Hydrogen chloride, oxides of potassium, chloride fumes.
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use water spray, dry chemical, carbon dioxide or chemical foam.
Non-combustible, substance itself does not burn but may decompose upon heating to produce corrosive and/or toxic fumes.
Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Repeated or prolonged exposure may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals.
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns.
May cause severe irritation of the respiratory tract with sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath and delayed lung edema. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract.
May cause skin sensitization, an allergic reaction, which becomes evident upon re-exposure to this material. May cause severe irritation and possible burns.
Contact with eyes may cause severe irritation, and possible eye burns. May cause sensitization.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
I; II; III