- Propionic aldehyde
A clear colorless liquid with an overpowering fruity-like stench.
Used in the manufacture of plastics, in the synthesis of rubber chemicals, and as a disinfectant and preservative.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Highly flammable; Irritant
R 11 36/37/38
S 9 16 29
Mutagen; Primary Irritant
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
318 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
Odor Threshold Odor threshold 1 ppm
0.811 g/cm3 (20 C)
Solubility in water
0.47 cp (10 C)
1.3695 (20 C)
17.4 (25 C)
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances. Flammables-area. Refrigerator (approx 4 C). Do not expose to air. Store under an inert atmosphere.
Ground and bond containers when transferring material. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Avoid ingestion and inhalation. Handle under an inert atmosphere. Store protected from air. This product may be under pressure; cool before opening. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
A full facepiece respirator with organic vapor cartridge may be worn up to 50 times the exposure limit or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-facepiece positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Avoid runoff into storm sewers and ditches which lead to waterways. Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Remove all sources of ignition. Use a spark-proof tool. Provide ventilation. Place under an inert atmosphere. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors.
Stable under ordinary conditions of use and storage. Reacts with water to form propionic acid. Forms peroxides of unknown stability.
Oxidizing agents, strong reducing agents, acids, strong bases, caustics, air, methyl methacrylate.
Carbon monoxide, irritating and toxic fumes and gases, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Extremely flammable liquid. Water may be ineffective. Material is lighter than water and a fire may be spread by the use of water. Containers may explode in the heat of a fire. Will be easily ignited by heat, sparks or flame. Extinguishing media: For small fires, use dry chemical, carbon dioxide, water spray or alcohol-resistant foam. For large fires, use water spray, fog, or alcohol-resistant foam. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective.
Extremely flammable liquid and vapor.
Vapor is heavier than air and may travel considerable distance to a source of ignition and flash back.
Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Effects may be delayed. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects.
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May be harmful if swallowed.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation. Can produce delayed pulmonary edema.
Causes mild skin irritation.
Causes severe eye irritation. May cause chemical conjunctivitis.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid.
Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical aid.
Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid.