- Propanoic acid anhydride
- Methylacetic anhydride
Clear, colorless liquid with a strong, rancid odor.
Esterifying agent for certain perfume oils, fats, oils, and especially cellulose. In the production of alkylated resins, dyestuffs and drugs. Has been used as a dehydrating agent in some sulfonations and nitrations.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
S 26 45
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
1.6 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
1.0343 g/cm3 (0 C)
Solubility in water
1.144 cp @ 20C
30.86 g/s2 (15 C)
1.4041 (17 C)
18.3 (16 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Do not store near combustible materials. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use with adequate ventilation. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Empty containers retain product residue, (liquid and/or vapor), and can be dangerous. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Do not allow contact with water. Do not pressurize, cut, weld, braze, solder, drill, grind, or expose empty containers to heat, sparks or open flames.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Absorb spill with inert material, (e.g., dry sand or earth), then place into a chemical waste container. Use water spray to disperse the gas/vapor. Remove all sources of ignition. A vapor suppressing foam may be used to reduce vapors. Do not get water on spilled substances or inside containers.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Oxidizing agents, alcohols, alkalies, water.
Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Water may be ineffective. Do NOT get water inside containers. For large fires, use water spray, fog or alcohol-resistant foam. Do NOT use straight streams of water. For small fires, use carbon dioxide, dry chemical, dry sand, or alcohol-resistant foam. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
May burn but does not ignite readily.
Substance will react with water (some violently) releasing flammable, toxic or corrosive gases and runoff. When heated, vapors may form explosive mixtures with air: indoors, outdoors, and sewers explosion hazards. Most vapors are heavier than air. They will spread along ground and collect in low or confined areas (sewers, basements, tanks). Vapors may travel to source of ignition and flash back. Contact with metals may evolve flammable hydrogen gas. Containers may explode when heated or if contaminated with water.
Fire will produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases.
Abnormal neuropsychologic function has been reported following hydrochloric acid exposure from a leaking tanker truck.
May cause severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and possible burns. Aspiration of material into the lungs may cause chemical pneumonitis, which may be fatal.
Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract.
Causes skin burns.
Causes eye burns. Vapors may cause eye irritation.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical aid immediately.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes.
Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately. Do NOT allow victim to rub or keep eyes closed.