Colorless to yellow solid.
Organic synthesis, dyes, camphor substitute in cellulose nitrate. Dinitrobenzene.
Registry Numbers and Inventories.
EC Index Number
Very toxic; Danger of cumulative effects; Dangerous for the Environment
R 26/27/28 33 50/53
S 28 36/37 45 60 61
Swiss Giftliste 1
Japan ENCS (MITI)
Melting point, °C
Boiling point, °C
Vapor pressure, mmHg
2.1 (25 C)
Vapor density (air=1)
0.1% at 20 C (calculated)
Solubility in water
34.4 g/s2 (176 C)
Partition coefficient, pKow
Heat of vaporization
Heat of combustion
Hazards and Protection.
Keep away from heat, sparks, and flame. Keep away from sources of ignition. Keep container closed when not in use. Store in a tightly closed container. Store in a cool, dry, well-ventilated area away from incompatible substances.
Wash thoroughly after handling. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Use only in a well ventilated area. Minimize dust generation and accumulation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Avoid contact with heat, sparks and flame. Do not ingest or inhale. Avoid mechanical shock and friction.
Eyes: Wear appropriate protective eyeglasses or chemical safety goggles as described by OSHA's eye and face protection regulations in 29 CFR 1910.133 or European Standard EN166. Skin: Wear appropriate protective gloves to prevent skin exposure. Clothing: Wear appropriate protective clothing to prevent skin exposure.
Follow the OSHA respirator regulations found in 29CFR 1910.134 or European Standard EN 149. Always use a NIOSH or European Standard EN 149 approved respirator when necessary.
Clean up spills immediately, using the appropriate protective equipment. Avoid generating dusty conditions. Remove all sources of ignition. Provide ventilation.
Stable under normal temperatures and pressures.
Metals, strong oxidizing agents, caustics (e.g. ammonia, ammonium hydrozide, calcium hydroxide, potassium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide).
Nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide.
Upper exp. limit, %
Lower exp. limit, %
Wear a self-contained breathing apparatus in pressure-demand, MSHA/NIOSH (approved or equivalent), and full protective gear. Dusts at sufficient concentrations can form explosive mixtures with air. During a fire, irritating and highly toxic gases may be generated by thermal decomposition or combustion. Use water spray to keep fire-exposed containers cool. Material is shock sensitive and potentially explosive. Greatly increases the burning rate of combustible materials. Containers may explode when heated. Extinguishing media: Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers. Use flooding quantities of water. Cool containers with flooding quantities of water until well after fire is out.
Slightly flammable. Combustible, often explosive.
Containers may explode when heated.
When heated to decomposition toxic fumes of oxides of nitrogen released.
TLV: 0.15 ppm; 1.0 mg/m3 (as TWA) (skin) (ACGIH 1997). OSHA PEL: TWA 1 mg/m3 skin NIOSH REL: TWA 1 mg/m3 skin NIOSH IDLH: 50 mg/m3
Chronic inhalation may cause effects similar to those of acute inhalation. May cause anemia and other blood cell abnormalities.
May be fatal if swallowed. May cause irritation of the digestive tract. May cause liver damage. May cause methemoglobinemia, cyanosis, convulsions, and death. May cause tissue anoxia, characterized by weakness, headache, dizziness, confusion, cyanosis, weak and irregular heart beat, collapse, unconsciousness, convulsions, coma and death. Methemoglobinemia is characterized by dizziness, drowsiness, headache, breath shortness, cyanosis with bluish skin, rapid heart rate and chocolate-brown colored blood.
Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause effects similar to those described for ingestion.
May be absorbed through the skin. Absorption into the body may cause cyanosis. May cause yellow-brown discoloration of the hair and exposed of workers has been reported.
May cause eye irritation. May cause visual impairment. Contact with th eye may cause yellow discoloration of the conjunctiva and sclera.
Do NOT induce vomiting. If victim is conscious and alert, give 2-4 cupfuls of milk or water. Get medical aid immediately. Treat patient as for inhalation.
Get medical aid immediately. Remove from exposure to fresh air immediately. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. DO NOT use mouth-to-mouth respiration. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration using oxygen and a suitable mechanical device such as a bag and a mask.
Get medical aid immediately. Flush skin with plenty of soap and water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. SPEEDY ACTION IS CRITICAL! Treat patient as for inhalation.
Flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, occasionally lifting the upper and lower eyelids. Get medical aid immediately.
USCG CHRIS Code
2904 20 00